Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Age of Electric

I was going to continue on my ramblings about my new Yamaha Eterna that I boasted about from my blog but I've opted instead to talk about other guitar related things. No sense regurgitating, right?

The first thing to point out-- as the electric is solid wood, it's heavier. Strap anyone? No, I didn't say "strap-on," you sick f***. The best part of the electric, and what also makes it easier to learn with, is that the strings are more malleable. You don't have to push down on them nearly as hard to create a good sound. I haven't tried to edumacate myself with the barre chords, but by simply playing around I've noticed it feels a lot nicer on the fingers using TheAxe™.
Most importantly to note, you feel more like a Rock Star with an electric guitar and less like a hippie. Very important.

So with the new guitar, I'm also more interested in learning something other than chords. Yes, I'm talking about picking. I want to rock out with some great solos sometime in the future. Of course to do that you'll need to have some serious speed skills. Whilst investigating this whole picking thing, I came across this article about "economy picking". Essentially. "economy picking" is simply utilizing your up and down pick movements to your best advantage. It's a great (and highly rated) lesson complete with some exercises to help you out on your learning adventure. Be sure to check it out.

About a month ago (it's been that long?) Grindy and I were jamming, when along came Nothing Else Matters a la Metallica. I wanted to play it. I wanted to learn. Grindy didn't have it down pat yet, but he had a decent grip on the opening. Of course I'm jealous of his ability, which thus provides a great motivator. This is labelled as an "advanced" tab over at Ultimate Guitar. This means that if I can learn it, I am smrt. Look out Grindy, I'm coming for you. Muah!

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Grindy said...

Did I mention I can play almost all of "Nothing Else Matters" now? :)

I can do verse and chorus, just bridge and solo need work. I know enough for us to play and sing it though so dust off your gravelly voice and get ready for some Hetfield :)